Custom Search

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Protein Powder's 'Other' Benefits


I began using a protein powder supplement a few years ago to address hypoproteinemia (low serum protein). Unfortunately, my body can’t seem to keep protein where it belongs. According to my doctors, it spills into my gut and is then eliminated.

Indeed, my protein loss is so severe, protein supplements don’t increase my serum protein level at all. It does, however, help in a couple other ways:

1. As you might be aware, some people with low serum protein levels may struggle with watery – loose stools or diarrhea.

I’ve found the protein powder helps to firm things up making me much more comfortable.

2. I often get dietary cravings. My body seems to yell at me, “YOU NEED TO EAT SOMETHING!” Unfortunately, I’m rarely told what that thing is.

That said, I can usually silence those cravings with my protein powder. Thankfully, it is better to quell my cravings with the protein supplement then to try with salty, fatty and high cholesterol snacks.

How do I use it?
I get the 8 oz. cans that contain a 7 gram (1-1/2 tbsp) scoop. Each scoop contains 6g protein, and although the directions on the can tell me to stir 1 scoop into at least a 4 oz. beverage, I usually use 3 scoops into an 8 oz. glass of water.

At first, the taste of the product was less than pleasing. In time, however, I found the flavor to be strangely satisfying.

If you suffer from low protein, and your doctor recommends protein supplements, don’t be afraid to try them. In addition to increasing your serum protein, they just might help

No comments: