Custom Search

Monday, March 8, 2010

Plasma Protein, Albumin Information

Living with this disorder has been a real struggle. As you may already know, protein in the body is important for a number of functions.

According to Wikipedia, human serum albumin is the most abundant protein in human blood plasma, and it is produced in the liver. Albumin comprises about half of the blood serum protein. It is soluble and monomeric.

Functions of albumin

1. Maintains oncotic pressure - I’ve had severe edema. The absence albumin leaves little for water, in cells, to bind with. So water flows across the cell membranes third spacing.

2. Transports thyroid hormones

3. Transports other hormones, particularly ones that are fat soluble

4. Transports fatty acids ("free" fatty acids) to the liver - I guess this is why my triglycerides and cholesterol are always sky-high. If fatty acids don’t get transported back to the liver, the liver acts like there is not enough in the blood and makes more.

5. Transports unconjugated bilirubin

6. Transports many drugs; serum albumin levels can affect the half-life of drugs – With this I’ve noted that when I have a high edema level (anasarca) my lasix (diruretic) doesn’t seem to make me urinate as much. Sometimes it stops working altogether.

7. Competitively binds calcium ions (Ca2+)

8. Buffers pH

9. Serum albumin, as a negative acute-phase protein, is down-regulated in inflammatory states. As such, it is not a valid marker of nutritional status; rather, it is a marker in inflammatory states - In my case, My ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) an indication of inflammation in the body was VERY high.

Which of these functions have you noted issues with in your own life? Leave a comment and tell us about them.

No comments: