Custom Search

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Ciliac Disease: Just one Possible Cause of Hypoproteinemia

Some of this post is derived from THIS EXTERNAL WEB PAGE.
One cause of hypoproteinemia could be Celiac disease.


Celiac disease is an autoimmune digestive disease that damages the villi of the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food.


Essentially, the body is attacking itself every time a person with celiac disease consumes gluten. If you are wondering if might have celiac disease, look at the following symptom checklist using this link to an external site dedicated to Celiac Disease.


For people with Celiac disease, protein called gluten, which is found in wheat, barley and rye isn‘t processed correctly and results in the villi problems as noted above..


I was checked for this with a diet change. I was taken off of all wheat products for at two week, and observed. I showed no change in serum protein so I was pronounced negative for celiac.


There are many, many products containing gluten. It is used as thickener in canned soups, breads, pasta and many other products. Read the ingredients.

I also had small intestine biopsies that ruled out Celiac Disease because the doctor wanted to be absolutely sure this disease was ruled out.

1 comment:

Ed said...

I am a celiac who has been off gluten almost 10 years. I do have hypoproteinemia. Hypoproteinemia has caused many problems, but the most annoying of all has been middle insomnia. There is a known correlation between hypoproteinemia and middle insomnia, but almost no docs know about it. I have managed to get off pharmaceutical sleeping drugs by using the NOW Amino-9 (essential amino acids) blend. When I wakeup around 2am, I take about 12 grams of the Amino-9 powder (mixed with a little yogurt & juice to make the powder palatable). This puts me back to sleep, and I wake up feeling very well, much better than when I used pharmaceutical sleeping drugs.