Custom Search

Monday, January 24, 2011

Back to Hospital: The Why and the How

I have a doctor appointment with Rheumatology tomorrow at Sonny Montgomery VA Medical Center in Jackson, MS.


My edema is excessive, as noted in a recent post, so I’m going to try to be admitted for diuresis. This means I’ll be given infusions of Albumin and Lasix at regular intervals (every 8 hours). For dosing information, use the search box, or use the links posted in the column on the right to manually read for the information.


You can use the search box above to search “Albumin and Lasix to treat Hypoalbuminemia”.


Usually when I get this treatment, I stay for approximately 5 days and I decrease my weight by about 20 pounds.


The fluid accumulation in my left leg is much more pronounced this time than any other. I have had unequal distribution of lower extremity edema before, but not to this extent. Therefore, I have to conclude that my broken leg is somehow contributing to this inequality.


Even the top of my left foot is puffed up… almost like a little-flat-water balloon.


When I go tomorrow, I’ll pack an extended stay bag with the essentials… Razor, toothbrush, underwear, socks, some Pjs and some cloths to wear on the day I come back home.


I ride the greyhound bus back and forth. This costs about $70 each time I go to the hospital. This travel expense has forced me to limit the trips, which puts off some important appointments.


What I invariably end up doing is postponing appointments till I can arrange them all around one day’s time, or I wait till I need to be hospitalized, then I go.


And the price of fuel is always going up, so I imagine bus tickets will be going up as well.

No comments: