Custom Search

Monday, October 31, 2011

Fear of Bad Medication Side effects is Real

For the first time, I am truly fearful of taking a medication. The doctor wants me to take “Reclast” which has been known to cause death to jaw bones of folks who have had dental work while on the drug.


The drug, taken to increase bone density to treat osteoporosis, has been known to cause mandibular osteonecrosis, so the doctor made sure I had my dental work done prior to getting this medication infused.


My osteoporosis is secondary to my hypoproteinemia; caused by low calcium and a probable absorption issue.


I’ve had my dental work done, and now its time to get the Reclast.


Should I, or shouldn’t I?


What if my jaw does die? What would that be like? Would it rot? Would I then have to have it removed? How would I eat? How would I go out in public?


This is a side effect I’m not sure I want to tangle with, but alas, I have severe osteoporosis and that can be very harmful as well.


What to do… what to do?


Prednisone was another drug I had to take that had serious side effects, but I was brave and took it like a trooper. It ended up causing me to be legally blind.


My advice to you is; you should take those medication warnings seriously. I used to think those side effects would never happen to me… now I know different.


Ultimately what I will do is weigh the benefits against the risks… as difficult as that is… and make the best choice.


I’ve already put off two appointments for getting the Reclast infusion. I think I’ll go next time and get it.

No comments: