Custom Search

Monday, December 20, 2010

Unexpected Accident Sunday

I broke my leg Sunday. My left Tibia fractured high (close to the knee). They called this the Tibia Plateau.


This injury occurred as I innocently threw an object into a tree. You see, I kicked my dogs ball high into the tree where it became lodged amongst its branches. I was attempting to knock the ball from the tree with a heavy socket.


When I threw the object upward, the lateral portion of my left leg was put in an un-natural bending angle, then it popped loudly. Of all ways to break a leg, this has got to be the lamest!


The orthopedic doctor who saw me said this type of fracture most commonly results in surgery. But in my case, he thinks if I keep my leg immobilized and don’t bear weight on it, that it’ll heal.


So I’ve got a knee immobilizer on and use a crutch under my left armpit, and a cane in my right hand.


It didn’t take long for me to realize how much of a workout I’ll be getting using these mobility aids.
One of my secondary issues that crept up due to my hypoproteinemia is osteoporosis. I’m not sure if this contributed to my leg break, so my VA doctor is going to schedule me for a density scan in the near future.


This doctor also told me to be watchful of blood clots. Since I don’t have a spleen, my platelets (Thrombocytes) are a lot higher than normal. That means my clotting factor is higher.


I am at risk of developing embolisms.


This is all for now. If you’d like to help me keep this blog going, feel free to donate using the button on the page.

No comments: