Custom Search

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

5 Nonessential Items I Bring when Hospitalized

If I know I'm going to be hospitalized there are 5 items I make sure I bring with me.  Some may seem silly, but they all contribute to a more comfortable stay.

1. Safety pins : I go to the VA hospital where we patients
are given “pajamas” instead of a gown to wear. Problems arise if the fly-snaps on the bottoms are worn out making them unable to fasten well.

I’ve had occasions when, while walking the hospital corridor, the fly-snaps suddenly gave way leaving the elastic waistband free to rapidly yank my fly wide open!. When this happened I couldn’t reach for my drawers fast enough!  They all too quickly fell to  my ankles.

So you see a safety pin or two will always be carried with me when I think I’ll become an in-patient.!

2. Cuetips: That’s right, cuetips. Do you know how frustrating it is to be someplace where you can’t swab your ears with a cuetip? When I get desperate, with out cuetips, there is no telling what objects might be shoved in my ear. 

3. Nail clippers:  Have you ever asked a nurse for nail clippers? You might as well ask the nurse to get you a Straight Razor.

4. Lip balm: In the hospital, my lips have dried out like worms crossing the highway at noon in the Mojave' Desert. Hospitals keep the air so conditioned that the humidity is very low. Therefore, I always keep lip balm on my packing list.

5. Tabasco or Hot Sauce: Yes, I bring my Louisiana Supreme hot sauce to the hospital. I learned in the army that otherwise unappetizing food can be made more palatable with a couple shakes of hot sauce.

Staying at hospitals can always be made a little easier with the “not so essential” items. That said, consider this post and then decide what your own are.

2 comments:

Reformed Anon. Girl in Pain said...

I always bring my own meds and syringes because they never have all of them since I have an orphan/rare illness.
I always try to have a hospital bag (just a reusable shopping bag will do!) on the back of my bedroom door for my housemate or the EMTs to grab. In it I have
-a current list of my meds including supplements, when I'm ill enough to be hospitalized by BP is superlow, makes it hard to talk/think
- a book or puzzlebook and a pen
- lipbalm
- PJs, extra socks and a few pairs of undies
- extra pair of reading glasses, just ones from the dollar store
- Kleenex (I hate the 1 ply crap in the hospital)
- a roll or two of dry mouth candies
- eyedrops
- a travel toothbrush and toothpaste
- important phone numbers (ESP my brother who is executor of my will and knows my living will specifications)
- hairbrush with an extra elastic or two for when I'm feeling well enough to care what I look like!
- a small bottle of conditioner (having long hair is a bugger! I miss the simplicity of one inch hair!!)
- a personal battery powered fan

I can't remember what else is in there! It always helps to be prepared!

Daniel Taverne said...

Reformed Anon, Girl n Pain, your suggestions are great! Giving some thought to what will midigate your hospital stay will certainly help make it better. I like the puzzle book idea. I used to bring books on tape and my MP# player for music.. as well as my hand-held amateur radio.