Custom Search

Monday, August 23, 2010

How I Cope with Hypoproteinemia

Some people might wonder what the big deal with protein is. To them, I say a lot!

Aside from edema, which I describe here in this blog, other issues have risen due to medication side effects.

Side effects I have suffered from are, weight gain, plural edema (fluid within the outer lining of the lungs), a positive AFB (acidfast bacillus) in my spinal fluid) indicating a strong possibility of having tuberculosis meningitis, legal blindness and some I’m not remembering at this time.

These medication induced problems only compound problems brought on by my form of this idiopathic Protein losing neuropathy. For example, I had a clot in my spleen and it had to come out. I had some neuropathic pain in my toes along with necrosis and my toes had to be taken off on my left foot. I had to have a vain replaced (bypass) in my leg from my crotch to my ankle.

Because of this disease, this condition, I had hernias that needed repair (surgery) and a multitude of invasive tests including several of each of the following EGDs (scope down the throat), colonoscopy (scope up the butt), exploratory abdominal surgery, a Die squirted ON THE BRAIN scan test (this sucked), and many I don’t remember at this point.

How have I coped?

I have held on tightly to the aspects of life that I enjoy. I don’t sweat the small stuff as they say and I revel in life’s many wonderful mysteries.

I re-engaged myself into hobbies that I, at one time, set aside for more pressing endeavors and I stopped taking my relationships with others for granted.

I watch a lot of America’s Funniest Videos and find as many reasons to laugh as I can. But most of all, I pray a lot. I pray a lot and I live in the hope that better days are in front of me.

I do these things, and I persevere with a smile.

No comments: