Custom Search

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Can Cravings Address Nutritional Needs of Chronically ill?

By Daniel Taverne

I believe my food cravings are trying to tell me things. For example, I get serious cravings for pickles from time to time, and no I’m not pregnant. What could this pickle craving be telling me?

I also get cravings for cabbage, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, assorted greens (mustard, turnip and collard).
I often crave fresh tomatoes, peaches, strawberries, blueberries and foods that contain a sour flavor.  Foods I don’t crave are meats like pork and beef. Yes, all my cravings are fruits and vegetables.

What could this mean?

Our bodies are designed in a way that gives us clues as to what this could mean. One such clue is our teeth. By looking at them we can see the vast majority of them are squared off; not pointy, as are the teeth of carnivores.

As we look at the “traditional” American diet, meat and potatoes, and the number one cause of death in America, heart disease, we might conclude that meat isn’t the best choice for humans to eat.

In an article titled, “Top Ten Cravings People Experience During Pregnancy",   Dacy Reimer asserts, “Pregnancy changes the chemistry of your body in strange and miraculous ways. Since you're eating for two now, you might get hit with some rather odd food cravings…” It’s this notion of changed body chemistry that causes me to make an assertion of my own.

I would like to assert that people, like me, who have dietary deficiencies experience cravings as well; cravings that if acted upon can address some of those shortcomings.  How pickles might help me, I don’t know, but when I get these cravings I try to obey them.

What do you think about this issue?  Do you have cravings and how do you think they might address a nutritional need of your own?  Leave a comment or sign my gurestbook to let me know how you feel.

No comments: