Custom Search

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Relationships & Chronic illness

If you are like me, you have people in your life who have to go out of their way to help you.

I can't drive a car, for instance, so my wife has to take me anywhere I want to go.

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to go somewhere but didn't want to have to ask my wife for a ride.

This situation  relegate my relationship with her  to that of a child.  She's the parent, and I'm the child.

Yes, since I've been diagnosed with ideopathic protein losing enteropathy, my relationship with my wife has changed.

I've had sleepless nights due to pain, and while my wife snored away. I was sitting up clutching my foot.

So not to wake her, I'd get out of bed and go get on the couch.  This is how we started us sleeping in separate rooms.

Relationships can (and do) change.  In some ways it's better, and in some ways it aint.

You have to realize your illness is affecting every loved one you come in contact with.  How you approach your illness is usually how others approach you.

Be positive, smile, talk to your loved ones.  Let them know you love and appreciate them.  You may not have much time left, so mend those broken relationships.

No comments: