Custom Search

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Results of Latest Albumin Replacement Therapy

As indicated in my last blog entry, I did go to the hospital seeking treatment for severe anasarca (generalized edema over most of my body) due to my albumin being very low.

Since I have a great relationship with my doctor, she notified the VA hospital's red medicine service that I needed to come in.

Fortunately, hey arranged a direct admission.

I arrived at the emergency room at about 7:30pm last tuesday, March 6, but I didn't get my room until around 2:00am.

I received  my first infusions wednesday morning at around 5:00am.

As noted in my previous post, I recieved 3 albumin infusions every 24 hours; each followed by an IV push of Lasix. 

When I was admitted into the hospital, my serum protein was 1.9 and my albumin was .9. 

My weight  upon admission was 195 lbs.

When I was discharged monday morning March 12, my weight was 172 lbs!

In 5 days, I lost about 23 pounds of edemic fluid!

As you might guess, I felt a whole lot better.  I can't tell you just how good I felt to be thinner again.

I wish I could stay this way, but I know its only a matter of time till I start packing on the fluid again.
If you want to know the dosage of the Albumin and Lasix I was taking, you can find that information on this blog. 

Give it a look.  If you have any questions, use the guestbook or leave a comment.

No comments: