Custom Search

Sunday, December 4, 2011

5 Reasons Men Avoid Doctors - How to Help?

1. Uphold a tough guy image - “I’ll be alright!” “It’ll heal on its own.”


2. Financial imposition - “It will be expensive.” “I don’t want to miss work.”


3. Fear - “I might have cancer.” “They might find out I’m REALLY sick, and if I am, I don’t want to know.


4. Stubbornness - Don’t like doctors and nurses telling them what and what not to do. “They’re going to tell me to stop smoking.” “They are going to tell me to change my diet, and I like bacon!”


5. Embarrassment - “I don’t want a digital rectal exam, or a Colonoscopy!”


Okay, I admit this list of excuses is not all-inclusive, but it does illustrate the point that the inner dialog of men can result in avoidance of medical evaluation and treatment.  


That being said, avoiding doctors sometimes means allowing treatable conditions to grow into untreatable nightmares.


How do we change the inner dialog of men to reverse this situation? Maybe we can’t, but there is something we can try.


Those of us, men in particular, who have met our own medical challenges, who didn’t allow negative dialog to stop us from seeking medical attention can start looking out for our fellow men.


If we know any adult male coworkers, friends or family members who despite health issues, refuse to see doctors, we can use our own experiences to address their concerns and encourage them to seek medical attention. END


Do you have any thoughts or ideas on this matter? Leave a comment or sign my guestbook.

No comments: