Custom Search

Thursday, October 7, 2010

My Situation Update

My protein level is not as low as it has been in the past. I don't know exactly what my albumin is, but judging by my edema level it's around 1.5.

I, as you may already know, am a veteran. Well, I went to the VA hospital in Jackson, MS a week and a half ago to see my primary care doctor.

I had been taking spironalactone (sp?) and my potassium needed checking. It turned out to be fine.

My edema on a scale of 1 to 10 was about a 5 and I was uncertain about being admitted because ther were things I wanted to do the following weekend. Being hospitalized would have put a damper on those activities.

Well, I did go back home with instructions to take a larger dose of the spironalactone (sp?). I was also instructed to come back in 2 weeks for another potassium check. I informed them I wouldn’t be able to come back that soon due to the cost of travel.

It costs me about $70.00 each time I go. The doctors seemed unsympathetic and sent me home thinking I was going to comply with their instructions.

I called them today and rescheduled that in 2 week appointment . I’m also taking the original dose of the spironolactone and will increase it 2 weeks prior to the new appointment.

Well, as you can tell, juggling finances due to health concerns is tough. I may be “wrong” for the way I am approaching my situation, but I’m doing the best I can.

No comments: