Custom Search

Monday, June 7, 2010

Albumin and Lasix Dosage for Treating Hypoalbuminemia Symptoms Associated with PLE

~DANIEL TAVERNE~

I spent a week in the hospital recently. I came back tuesday, the 7th day of my admission. Each time I go for hypoalbuminemia I get this treatment. Sometimes it's twice a month... sometimes it's only once per month.

First of all, I'm a 43y/o male...my base weight is about 160lbs.

They gave me 50ml of Albumin - infused over an hours time q8hrs...every 8 hours. Each was followed by Lasix IV push...dosage below. My blood pressure was monitered every 4 hours and my I/O was recouded. I'll get this treatment daily untill I reach my base weight.

I was treated for the hypoproteinemia that I spill into my GI tract somehow. The exact cause of this spillage, or what ever is causing my albumin to be low is still unclear after 8 years. My Albumin has been less than 1 for a long, long time.

I get anasarca (generalized edema-fluid retention all over my body. This fluid is very incomfortable - sometimes painful- and I get tired...lacking energy to do many thing I like to do in life.

Well, while in the hospital the dose given was 50ml of albumin (intravenously) 3 times a day, or every 8 hours. Each one of those doses was followed up with 60ml of lasix (IV push)
Occasionally my albumin level seems to spontaneously increase. And, occasionally that happens when I'm in the hospital. I've lost as much as 40 pounds of fluid... that's alot of peeing!

For some reason, though I went into the hospital last seek, my protein has been slow to fall. This has allowed me to be more enthusiastic about life. I began lifting weights again and boy am I getting pumped up.
I'm not sure what my albumin lever is now, but it still isn't so bad. I think it'll gradually decrease though as it always seems too.

No comments: